Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Thumbprint Cookies with a Sweet Nutty Kick


I was so excited to be involved in the April Showers Bring May Flours project with www.nuts.com.  We were challenged to convert our Quick & Easy Shake Pizza Crust from an all purpose flour crust to a blanched almond flour crust. 

My mind immediately went to how wonderful thumbprint cookies would be with almond flour incorporated. It was like a song that gets stuck in your head and it just won't quit. I just kept thinking about trying almond flour with my thumbprint cookies. So I caved and made thumbprint cookies. I didn't want to make a full conversion of flour. I thought a light sweet nutty almond flavor to the cookies would be such a delightful taste. 


I took my original recipe and made it exactly as I always do but combined some almond flour with the all purpose flour. I was thrilled at how well the dough rolled and how nice the print was. No cracking of the cookie around the edge of the print. These cookies turned out exactly as I had envisioned. The blanched almond flour added a light sweet nutty taste and the bonus of a little extra moisture to the cookies. I topped the cookies with a butter cream frosting with pure almond extra. Perfect and pretty.



During the process of frosting the cookies I kept thinking this would also be amazing if you filled the fingerprint with apricot jam and sprinkled chopped almonds on top. So now you know what I will be up to net week! 

Print Recipe


Ingredients:


1/2 cup soft butter

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon blanched almond flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place parchment paper on cookie sheet.
Blend flours and salt together in a separate bowl.
Mix butter and brown sugar together until creamy. 
Add egg yolk and mix until well incorporated. 
Add vanilla and mix. 
Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not over bake!

Butter Cream Frosting

1 stick of softened butter

1 1lb box of powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2-1 teaspoon pure almond extract

Mix butter until whipped. Slowly add powdered sugar and milk until creamy and stiff enough to spread or pipe. Finally add almond extract to taste. 


Note: Finding almond flour in my small town was impossible and I had no intention of making my own. Ordering Almond Flour from Nuts.Com is easy, their prices are good and they have been in business since 1929 (so they have quite a bit of history). 

Don't miss our infographic on the Benefits of Almond Flour

No monetary payment or product was received for this blog post. We are not an affiliate of the company and will not receive future monetary payments for clicks onto their website. The intent of the project was to promote the benefits of almond flour and the ease of incorporating almond flour into your every day cooking and baking.  We will never write a review on a brand's product nor will we promote a product, if we believe the product will not be beneficial to you. The opinions in this post are our own.

Authored by +Terri Henkels 


Follow Us & Share

 photo facebook_zps9fdec939.png photo rss_zpsebb9d4b3.pngFollow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment